THE SPIRITUAL EMPOWERMENT CENTER
The Spiritual Empowerment Center, Baltimore, is affiliated with the Centers for Spiritual Living. We are a young but growing and dynamic congregation, having just celebrated five years in operation. We are seeking student musicians to fill several worship music internships. We are looking for a keyboardist, bassist, and drummer to provide backing and accompaniment for rehearsals, services, and performances for the choir and soloists, and to support the Musical Director. We are a small, diverse, multicultural, and urban worship center that is rebuilding our music ministry, and our music needs to reflect the backgrounds of our congregants.
Purpose | Product | Service
Religious. Worship services and performances.
Position: Band members/Accompanist(s) for The Spiritual Empowerment Center, Baltimore
Reports to: Musical Director and Minister/Community Spiritual Leader
Employee status: Internship, part-time.
One weekly rehearsal – with choir(s), one weekly rehearsal with Music Director, and a Sunday Morning Celebration Service (10:30 am – 12 noon)
Occasional holiday/festival services throughout the year
Experience: See below
Education: College juniors to graduate students are preferred, but will accept other classes as well.
Compensation: Stipend, to be determined. Can evolve into regular part-time positions.
· A willingness to take direction, yet be a collaborative partner with the Music Director.
· Be able to and willing to play various styles of music, including gospel, contemporary worship and praise music, pop, folk, jazz, reggae, and world music.
· Have a high proficiency with a strong emphasis on rhythmic stability.
· Have playing and accompaniment experience, with both professionals and volunteers.
· Show ability to read an open score, transpose as needed, and sight read.
· Ability to lift music and chart music from recordings, and to improvise accompaniment from a melody and chord chart. Must understand and be able to teach harmony.
· Have performance experience, preferably in professional settings.
· Have a professional and competent performance demeanor.
· Possess strong verbal communication skills in the English language and be able to openly communicate with the Music Director.
· Have excellent people skills, patience and a positive attitude.
For more information and to apply to the following:
c/o The Spiritual Empowerment Center
Location2129 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
This Internship Website was made possible by a grant from the Baltimore County Government.